There are several cases in marine industry where a pipe spool needs to be replaced urgently without the possibility to fabricate the corroded/worn spool piece on board the vessel. Prior to fabrication our ESD conducted an Offshore 3D laser survey of existing spools and tie in points thus ensuring complete accuracy of crucial dimensional measurements for subsequent spool fabrication. NAVAL-DME follows a simple but reliable pattern in order to produce the pipe spools 3D models and isometric drawings, that later will be forwarded to the manufacturing facility.
1. A high resolution high accuracy, 3D laser scanning to record the tie in points and all the key features of the pipe spool in question.
2. Using the latest and most updated design software the laser scan data are processed and the pipe spool is 3D modelled. Finally the model is thoroughly checked to achieve the maximum accuracy.
3. Detailed construction plans with bill of materials for accurate prefabrication.
4. Finally NAVAL-DME Naval Architects & Marine engineers will inspect and verify the dimensional correctness of each pipe spool and ensure that all weldings, surface treatments etc. are according to standards.
Cost Savings in Pre-Fabrication, Inspection & Testing
- Monitoring the Quality of the pipe work can be achieved & maintained in a controlled environment. High accuracies on specified tolerances will avoid rework at site.
- The fabrication procedure is independent of the weather condition, thus production delays are minimized.
- With Prefabricated Spools there is no need to mobilize significant work force for fabrication on site.
- Manufacturing in mass production, will result in lower manufacturing costs compared with site fabrication.
- Prefabricated Spools will take lesser fabrication / assembly time, thereby avoiding time & cost overruns.
- The quality of Prefabricated Spools can be monitored via various of NDT methods. Radiography, Ultrasonic tests, Hydro tests etc. can be performed better & effectively in controlled environments.
- Prefabricated Spools will be serviced under the strict vigilance of Third Party Inspection Agencies, ensuring 100% adherence to required quality standards.
- Better control on welding parameters in controlled environments resulting in lesser probability of rework at site.
- Internal corrosion resistant layers like rubber lining can be easily manufactured.